Corporal Henry Mueller, Company G.

        Henry Anthony Mueller (sometimes spelled Miller) was born on 30 November 1840 in Cologne, Germany to Peter Joseph Mueller and Marie Jauger. He eventually emigrated to the United States, settled in Addison, Wisconsin, and began working as a blacksmith. It was there that he enlisted on 20 Aug 1862 for a period of 3 years and was paid a bounty of $25. Described as being of fair complexion, having blue eyes and dark hair, and standing 5'9", the Private mustered in and was assigned to Company G on 17 Sep 1862.
        As the 26th was held in reserve at Fredericksburg as a part of the XI Army Corps, his first chance to see action was at Chancellorsville. As stated in his Declaration for Invalid Pension, it was at this battle on 2 May 1863 that he was wounded "by a ball entering... his right cheek". According to a General Affidavit, 1st Lieutenant Lambert Weiss reported that Henry Mueller was sent to the general field hospital at Aquia Creek VA for treatment. A Notation from the Adjutant General's Office described him as being only "slightly wounded".
        Having survived Chancellorsville, he was promoted to Corporal on 28 May 1863. His next opportunity for action was at Gettysburg. On the first day of battle, 1 Jul 1863, he was wounded again, this time in two places. "One ball entering his mouth broke off 4 teeth and lodging in his left cheek so that it had to be cut out from the outside of the cheek... the other ball entering his back close by his spine and lodging under the left shoulder blade where it still remains". In addition to the wounds themselves, he was taken prisoner for a time. In a notarized statement for pension claim, he indicates, "that the ball which inflicted the said wound of cheek was extracted by a Confederate surgeon after being taken prisoner". Apparently, he was later released, being sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital and later to Camp Randall Hospital. During this time, his whereabouts must have been in question because of a statement which only appears later in a document from the Record and Pension Office which states "charge of desertion withdrawn". The charge occurred during the period when he was still being hospitalized for his wounds received at Gettysburg.
        For the remainder of the War, he served with both the 146th Company 2nd Battalion VRC and the 23rd VRC Company A. He mustered out on 8 Sep 1865 and was honorably discharged. By the amount of paperwork left behind, though, it was evident that Henry Mueller was not satisfied with the pension he was receiving after the War. Numerous documents were written in an effort to detail how Henry received his wounds in the service of his adopted country. By the tone of these documents, his requests for a "fair, just, and impartial medical examination" seem to have been disregarded.
        On 1 Jul 1868, he married Mary Wenker, a daughter of Sebastian Wenker and Maria Kieffer. The ceremony was performed in St. Lawrence (Washington County WI) by Mary's brother, Fr. Michael Wenker. Henry's children by Mary were Frank, Mary, John, and Theresa. The family moved around a bit, spending some time in Chicago IL, Minneapolis MN, and St. Joseph MO. Eventually, they ended up back in Milwaukee WI, where Henry subsequently died of pulmonary and intestinal tuberculosis on 29 May 1915.
        Of Henry's children : John Mueller served as a priest in Chicago. Theresa, became a nun, choosing the name of Sister Anastasia. Frank married Eva Becker and had at least 5 children (but we have lost track of that side of the family), and Mary Mueller married Francis Storch, producing 5 children, 9 grandchildren (including myself), and 10 great grandchildren.

History by John Storch.

Portion of photo RG98S-SCP 35.96 (Men of Company G.)

U. S. Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Pa. 17013