Diary of Private
Frederick Charles Buerstatte 1864 - 1865


         Frederick C. Buerstatte was a druggist in Manitowoc for more than forty years. He opened his drug store in 1872. On his retirement his sons took over the drug store. They continued in business until 1967 when James Fuhs and James Powers purchased the business. They are operating under the name of Manitowoc Drugs, with the store located at 919 South 8th Street in Manitowoc. She subject of this biographical sketch was a native of Elberfeld, Prussia. He was the son of Henry M. and Marie (Meister) Buerstatte. His parents were married in Germany and came to the United States in May 1850, settling in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. The father purchased a tract of forest land which he cleared, and on which he lived until his death, November 12, 1887. He had a family of eight children, one of whom died in infancy. There were two sons and five daughters in the family.
Frederick C. Buerstatte received his education in the public schools of Manitowoc, and when not yet eighteen years of age, on February 12, 1864, he enlisted for service in the Union Army becoming a private of the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, from which company he was discharged on July 20, 1865. He saw strenuous service, and was wounded twice. In the diary account which we are publishing in this new letter, there is reference to his hospital treatment and confinement. After his discharge from the service he attended Baldwin (Ohio) University, graduating in pharmacy, and for two years thereafter he was engaged as a dry clerk He then opened the drug store in Manitowoc which was operated under the Buerstatte family name until 1967.
        On Sept. 20,1871, Mr. Buerstatte was married to Augusta Gennrich, who was born in Germany. She came to the United States in 1856, coming here with her parents. Mrs. Buerstatte died in 1904. She was the mother of ten children - Julius, an electrician, Richard, also engaged in the drug business, Fred, a professor in the Missouri School of Mines, Charles, a druggist, Zeralda, a teacher, Lillie, who married George Hollander, Octavia, who married Fred Groelle, Junietta, a teacher, Amanda, a nurse, and Grace, whose history is unknown. Frederick C. Buerstatte was an alderman for four years.
The diary of Frederick Buerstatte's experiences in the Civil War was originally written in German. It was translated into English by George Ermne in 1974. We are privileged to publish this diary for it describes well the hardships that most soldiers had to undergo in the struggle brought about over the issue of slavery and other related matters.

Diary of

Frederick Charles Buerstatte

All your life keep God before you and in your heart and beware that you do not linger in any form of sin but always follow God's command.

Tobias: Chapt. 4 Verse 6


12th February - Tonight I volunteered for duty with the 26th Regiment Wis. Infantry Volunteers for 3 years or duration of the war.

6th March - I received a physical examination by the doctor at Camp Randall and was declared fit.

15th March - We were mustered into the service of the U.S.

18th April - We left Camp Randall and were sent to the regiment.

23rd April - We arrived at the regiment at Lookout Valley, Tennessee.

27th April - We finally received rifles..

2nd May - We left on march from Lookout Valley this morning. We are now 15 miles from Georgia. We came to Missionary Ridge battlefield on the way. The roadside was full of graves and the cannonballs and rifle balls were buried in the trees.

5th May - Today in Georgia it is (?) day. We marched here yesterday. The Rebs are not far from here. Weather is beautiful and the air warm.

7th May - The entire army is on the move. We marched farther south yesterday and today. The area is hilly. We see few men but often women and children.

8th May - We marched to Tunnel Hill where the Rebs were. In the afternoon we had an encounter with the Rebs in which they were driven from their first position. We lost 2 dead and some wounded.

11th May - We marched in the direction of Rome. We drove the enemy before us and we heard General Grant had beaten the Rebs in Virginia. The soldiers hope to see the war come to an end this year. So do the enemy prisoners, some of whom look quite bewildered.

14 May - Since yesterday and today a lively skirmish has been occurring in front of us. We are lying here in a battle line. The enemy is resisting heavily and we will soon get into the fire because our advance troops are already in it. The Adjutant had acquired a detachment from the Army of the Potomac with which General Grant had beaten the Rebs after a 4 day battle. He captured 30 cannons and an entire division. We hear loud gunfire to the left and in front of us and it seems the enemy is being driven back.

15th May - Today is Pentecost day. The battle lasted yesterday into the night and this morning it continues again. We were relieved last night. Our entire division is on the march to try to surround the enemy. We marched until noon and set up a battle line and moved out. Our brigade attacked the enemy defenses but we were thrown back. We regrouped and attacked again. Our regiment moved ahead in good formation, but the other regiments broke up and we had to retreat again. We attacked again but did not succeed. We received reinforcements and took the defenses. This was a horrible fight. Dead and wounded lay everywhere. We were taken to the rear and spent a quiet night we are considerably disappointed since our regiment lost 70 men of 370 total.

16th May - The enemy was beaten this morning. We have the last stragglers of the Rebs behind us. We captured more material and ammunition. The guns they left behind are all destroyed. The road is scattered full of dead, horses, pieces of clothing, weapons. cartridge containers, etc. These are the tracks of an army in flight.

17th May - Last night we marched until 1:00 o'clock. Our cavalry is following the enemy. We are finding while marching many dead and wounded left behind by the enemy.

18th May - in the evening we got to the enemy area and built breastworks overnight. Enemy cavalry is in front of us. We are extremely exhausted from the long march.

19th May - At noon we engaged the enemy and the battle started. In spite of this, our regiment did not get into it. Good news from Virginia.

21st May - Rest day.

22nd May - One does not realize it, but today is Sunday. Tomorrow we march again. The heat is terrible and we are all almost "finished".

23rd May - Our company was assigned to train guard duty.

27th May - We were relieved of train guard duty and at midnight returned to our regiment encamped at Burnt Hickory.

28th May - The Rebs greeted us with cannon fire this morning. We relieved the 1st Brigade which was positioned behind breastworks. The entire area is thickly wooded .

30th May - The Rebs attacked last night but were driven off.

31st May - We were relieved last night and lay in reserve today.

2nd June - We marched on the right flank today. It rained a great deal. We are all wet through and through and there is an awful lot of mud! mud!

5th June - Today is Sunday, a beautiful day at home, but here we must keep our thoughts together, otherwise one does not know it is Sunday. The weather is finally clearing up after a long period of rain. Rations are becoming scarce.

7th June - Today we are encamped on a hill. We had to build breastworks deep into last night and are learning what the word hunger means.

8th June - Rest day.

16th June - We marched out at 2:00 o clock and met the Rebs at 6:00 o clock at Big Shanty. We laid for 2 hours through cannon and rifle fire on the ground and dared not get up. Two men were wounded from our regiment.

17th June - Last night we had to lay ad night with rifles in our arms and then we built breastworks.

19th June - We advanced 2 miles. The Rebs left their defenses, strong defenses, which were built a long time ago.

20th June - We got into a skirmish yesterday in which we lost a lot of men.

22nd June - Today was again another bloody day near Marietta. We had to attack the well-entrenched enemy at noon. We ran across a wide open field with shouts and into the next woods where we came upon the enemy outpost defenses and got to within 300 yards of their main defenses. Our regiment lost 45 dead and wounded.

23rd June - We were relieved last night and marched farther to the right where today we built breastworks in view of the enemy who provided us with cannonball music.

3rd July - While we were on the march, the Rebs gave up their forward defenses and retreated with us at their heels.

4th July - Today we stood watch and returned at noon. All day long a terrible cannonade has been going on in front and to the left of us. Toward evening we marched about 3 miles and built breast-works.

6th July - Today we are positioned on a hall about 2 miles from the Chattahoochie River. The Rebs are in retreat. We marched here yesterday in the greatest heat in which many of our men collapsed from exhaustion.

9th July - We established our camp here. Weather is beautiful.

16th July - We stood general inspection today.

17th July - Today is Sunday. We had to clean up the camp after which we received orders to march.

18th July - Yesterday evening we crossed the river on pontoons and marched back and forth in the woods.

19th July - We rested today.

20th July - Today we are engaged in a terrible battle with the Rebs at Peach Tree Creek. At 2:00 o'clock PM. our brigade which was at the left Rank of the corps, joined the 4th Corps in battle line. The enemy attacked at which time we advanced. Our regiment was as always m the forward battle line. We advanced over a small hill and into a valley in which a small creek flowed. Then the Rebs came toward us down the hill in front of us. Now the firing really began. The gunfire exceeded anything I had ever heard before. We loaded and fired as fast as possible. The Rebs came to within 10 paces of us, at which time our musket balls became too thick for them. They turned to the night and retreated up the hill with us behind them. This was a sight which I had never seen before and hope never to see again. The entire field was scattered with dead, wounded and dying. The wounded moaned so much that I could hardly watch. However, we had no time and had to advance up the hill.
There stood a fence behind which we petitioned ourselves. The Rebs tried to advance again but did not succeed, because a battery was placed on the hill behind us which greeted the enemy terribly with cannonballs. After 4 hours of firing, we were finally relieved and went to the second battle line. The firing lasted into the night. At night I helped carry more wounded from the field. We also captured a flag from the 33rd Mississippi Regiment.

21st July - This morning our regiment, after a sleepless night, had to bury the dead Rebs which laid before our regiment. They were all from the 33rd Mississippi Regiment. Our regiment lost 9 dead and 36 wounded. We buried over 50 Rebs, among them Colonel Drake and most of the officers of the 33rd Miss. Regiment. Now we had to clean our guns.

22nd July - Today we marched toward Atlanta and built breastworks. Toward evening the Rebs greeted us with cannon fire. Four cannons are positioned between our regiment. One can see the towers of Atlanta.

23rd July - We changed our position again We marched further to the right near the First Division and lay behind "Dulgars Battery". Now the bombardment of Atlanta has begun. Heavy defenses rise before us.

29th July - A bloody battle occurred yesterday to our right and in front of us at the 15th Corps.

21st August - Today is Sunday. One almost doesn't realize it because the bombardment continues without letup. We received a little whiskey today. The Rebs bothered us very much. They lobbed 64-pounders at us.

27th August - Last night we quietly left our breastworks and retreated to the Chattahoochie River where we bunt breastworks today.

28th August - Today is Sunday. Yesterday the Rebel cavalry attacked our outposts and took several prisoners. Our Corps is stationed at the river as bridge guard.

2nd Sept. - This morning we left our quarters at the river at 5:00 o'clock and filed through wood and field over hill and dale toward Atlanta. We came to the city at 10:00 o'clock. The city immediately surrendered. We drove 30 Reb cavalry before us through the city. Several stores were broken into and tobacco was taken from them. Many Germans live here.

6th Sept. - We have established summer encampment on the south side of Atlanta.

8th Sept. - The Army finally returned with 6000 prisoners.

11th Sept. - Today is Sunday. The bells in the city are ringing but one cannot go to church no matter how hard one tries because one must "stay home" and clean rifles.

19th Sept. - We signed our pay lists.

26th Sept. - Today our division stood review before Major General Slocum. Our regiment was highly praised.

1st Oct. - Our tie with the North was again cut by the Reb General Wheeler with his cavalry.

5th Oct. - Hood's Army is to our rear and our whole army including our Corps chased him. We were paid today.

8th Oct. - Our regiment marched away from Atlanta to the river to a position at the railroad bridge.

19th Oct. - This morning we took 3 days ration and patrolled and foraged toward Roswell.

21st Oct. - We returned today at noon. Yesterday we camped 1 mile on this side of Roswell overnight. Yesterday the wagons were loaded with corn. At noon we marched toward Marietta and today we marched 16 mites in 6 hours.

9th Nov. - Today we heard loud cannon and musket fire near Atlanta.

10th Nov. - We heard that yesterday 2 Reb infantry regiments and 1 Reb cavalry regiment were seen near the city but retreated quickly.

14th Nov. - This morning we burned our camp and marched to Atlanta to our brigade. We received more whiskey last night

15th Nov. - This morning the entire Army of the HAC. 15 A.C. 19 A.C. and the 20th Army Corps was on the move toward Atlanta.

19th Nov. - Tonight we are about 45 miles from Atlanta. We began to live from that which we found on the plantations such as potatoes pigs chickens sheep and cornmeal.

20th Nov. - Today is Sunday but gust the same we are marching in rainy weather and mud. We came through the little town of Madison.

21st - 22nd Nov. - Rain and mud.

23rd Nov. - It cleared up today. We had strong winds. During last 3 days of marching through rain and mud, we crowded ourselves quite close together. We passed through Milledgeville which was the governor's residence. He fled 3 days ago; it is the capital city of Georgia.

26th Nov. - Tonight we came upon Andersonville .

27th Nov. - This morning we had inspection of rifles cartridges and cartridge cases. We moved on at 10:00 o'clock.

29th Nov. - Today we marched through the considerably larger town of Louisville.

30th Nov. - We had a well-deserved rest day today.

4th Dec. - Today is Sunday but we had to march anyhow. The entire area around Andersonville is swampy and roads are bad.

7th Dec. We marched among ruins and mud. It is still 25 miles to Savannah.

9th Dec. - We hear cannon fire to our left in front of us near the 14th Army Corps.

10th Dec. - Before us and near us we hear cannon fire near the 14th Corps and 17 A.C. The 14th is to our left and 17 A.C. is to our right and in front of us. We were formed into a battle line at noon.

11th Dec. - The bombing continues without stopping near us. Our rations are now short and one discovers what hunger feels like.

12th Dec. - All the trains which we encountered from Atlanta to Savannah were destroyed.

14th Dec. - The bombing still continues vigorously. This morning the 2nd Div. of the 15th Army Corps attacked Fort McEllister and captured it on the first advance. They captured 26 cannons and 1500 men which was the entire complement of the fort. Our food line should now be open again. We now have too little to live on and too many dying. We have only a small amount of rice and an ounce of meat per day.

16th Dec. - One hears that a 15 ton food supply for this army is on the way which should arnve in about 2 days.

17th Dec. - Another food supply arrived which made us very happy.

19th Dec. - We received 1/2 rations again.

21st Dec. - This morning the order came to advance. The Rebs have left and we had to pack in 5 minutes and march toward Savannah, where we set up quarters 1 mile west of the city. We now have as much rice as we want. The Rebs have fled to South Carolina. We captured much rice, cannons and munitions which the enemy left behind. We also captured many prisoners.

24th Dec. - We cleaned our quarters. Each person planted a Christmas tree in front of his tent.

25th Dec. - Christmas morning inspection. We received a 1/2 unit crackers, rice and meat.

26th Dec. - We received orders to march tomorrow across the Savannah River.

27th Dec. - The march orders were rescinded. Good news from Tennessee. General Hood's army is completely demoralized.

30th Dec. - Today the entire 20th Army Corps was reviewed by General Sherman in Savannah in beautiful weather. We received orders to march tonight .

31st Dec. - We marched in the rain 2 miles east of the city. It was cold and returned to our old quarters for the first time since November 14th. We received sugar and full cracker rations. Cold wind.

End of 1864


1st Jan. - Beautiful weather. We have orders to keep ourselves in readiness to march at a moment's notice.

2nd Jan. - We marched off and at Savannah we were taken by steamboat across the river to South Carolina.

3rd Jan._We reconnoitered and had a small skirmish with the Rebs about 4 miles from the river and drove them into the river.

4th Jan. - We marched 2 miles and pitched camp. The area here is low and swampy.

5th Jan. - We searched but found no enemy.

6th Jan. - It is raining and we received bad rations and bad water.

10th Jan. - Rainy weather and bad roads.

14th Jan. - I am a little sick. Borrowed $2.00 from A. Ludwig.

15th Jan. - Sunday. Beautiful weather. We had church services this morning at 11:30 A.M. The text was 2nd Corinthians, Chapter 5, verses 19-21. We received "hundred-year old" flour which was alive with worms.

17th Jan. - We again received orders to be ready to march.

18th Jan. - We marched about 5 miles to Hardeeville.

19th Jan. - Rest day - rainy weather, general inspection.

20th Jan. - Rainy weather.

21st Jan. - Rainy weather.

22nd Jan. - We went foraging today about 8 miles from camp. We brought back some sweet potatoes and pork. No enemy was seen. Bad roads.

25th Jan. - It got so cold today and h inch ice freezes every night.

28th Jan. - We received march orders.

29th Jan. - We marched about 8 miles in 6 hours.

30th Jan. - we marched to Robinsonville.

31st Jan. - Rest day.

1st Feb. - Marched.

3rd Feb. - We live again off cornmeal, pork and sweet potatoes.

8th Feb. - It has cleared up after a two day rain. We destroyed the Augusta Charleston train.

9th Feb. - Destroyed another train.

10th Feb. - Destroyed another train 33 miles from Augusta. We marched through Williston.

11th Feb. - we waded the Big Salkehatchie River in water over our knees. We marched to Columbia.

12th Feb. - We crossed the South Edisto River.

16th Feb. - We came to within 4 miles of Columbia.

17th Feb. - We marched in another direction .

18th Feb. - We crossed the Saluda River.

19th Feb. - We crossed the Broad River.

21st Feb. - We came to the town of Winsboro in which a train was destroyed.

22nd Feb. - Tonight we crossed the Wateree River on pontoons.

4th March - This morning we marched through Chesterfield.

5th March - Rest day, but I had to forage over the border into North Carolina. There I put on my first pair of civilian pants and wore a stove-pipe hat.

6th March - Today we marched south again. At night we marched through the town of Cheraw and crossed the Great Pedee River at 3:00 o'clock.

12th March - We marched 20 miles and came to within 2 1/2 miles of Fayetteville.

13th March - Rest day. We had church services again.

14th March - We crossed the Cape Fear River.

16th March - We had a battle near Averrettsboro. We drove the Rebs from 2 breastworks and chased them for 2 1/2 miles before us until nightfall hindered our chase. Our regiment lost 1 Captain, 1 Lieutenant, 7 men and 8 men wounded,

17th March - The Rebs escaped and we followed until noon.

18th March - We returned to the battlefield and turned east. We waded the South River in water over our hips.

19th March - We had a battle at Bentonville. We waded in water over our knees. The fight became "hot" and our regiment lost 2 dead and 5 wounded.

22nd March - We marched to Goldsboro.

23rd March - Tonight we crossed the Neuse River on pontoons and came to within 5 miles of Goldsboro.

24th March - We marched in parade through Goldsboro.

25th March - We erected our quarters about 3 miles north of Goldsboro to stay here for a time.

1st April - This morning we marched 27 miles southeast to Kingston as train guard.

2nd April - We came to Kingston at noon today.

3rd April - Tonight we were quartered in a wagon shop. Kingston is a small town on the Neuse River.

4th April - This morning we marched at 6:00 A.M. back to Goldsboro into the afternoon at 3:00 o'clock. We marched 20 miles without rest.

5th April - We got to camp at 10:00 o'clock.

6th April - Our division stood review today before Major General Howard who is our new Corps Commander.

7th April - We had general inspection before General Cogswell. He is a brave General.

9th April - Received march orders and held church services at night.

10th April - We marched in rain to Raleigh.

11th April - We marched hard and many collapsed from exhaustion.

12th April - This morning we marched through the small town of Smithfield. There we received the news that Petersburg and Richmond were captured. It is very warm and the woods is quite green, green, green.

13th April - We came to Raleigh, which is the capital of North Carolina.

21st April - Our Corps war, reviewed by Major General W. T. Sherman.

24th April - We received march orders to march to the front

25th April - Matched.

26th April - Rest day.

27th April - We lay still.

28th April - We marched again to Raleigh.

29th April - We lay still outside Raleigh. General Johnston probably has surrendered his army.

30th April - We marched north with 20 cartridges per man.

1st May - This morning we crossed the Neuse River and at night crossed the Tarr River.

3rd May - This morning we marched through Williamsboro. In the afternoon we crossed the Roanoke River on pontoons and crossed the border at the same time.

4th May - We crossed the Meeherren River. The days are very warm. We have yet to go 76 miles to Richmond.

7th May - We crossed the Appommattox River on pontoons.

8th May - We came to within 9 miles of Richmond.

9th May - We came 3 miles closer to the city.

10th - May Rest day.

11th May - We marched on parade through the City of Manchester. A brigade of the 3rd Division of the 24th Army Corps was lined up on the main street and it greeted US with thundering hurrahs and drums. Then we crossed the James River. We marched past Libby prison down the main street of Richmond. We then camped overnight 3 miles north of the city and it rained heavily. Manchester is a middle-size city on the south bank of the James River. Richmond is a large, beautiful city on the north bank of the James River. A part of the city consisted of mostly beautiful buildings which were burned down by the Rebs before their departure.

12th May - We marched north about 9 miles and crossed the Chickahominy River.

13th May - We marched through McClellan's Swamp past Ashlin's Station. At noon we crossed the South Anna River.

14th May - We crossed the North Anna River.

15th May - We marched through the Spotsylvania Court House and across the Wilderness Battlefield where it really looked wild. The trees lay around in all directions there were the breastworks, and hands, foot and heads stuck out of the graves. Nothing but graves and breast-work,. The area was scattered for miles with cannisters, knapsacks and various articles of war. Tonight we camp on the Chancellorsville Battlefield, which looks very similar. The area is named for a farmer whose name was Chancellor. Two old destroyed brick buildings still stand there as a mute reminder that a farm was there.

16th May - We crossed the Rappahannock River on pontoons.

17th May - We crossed Cedar River on the way to Cattel Station.

18th May - Very warm. We had to march very hard with little to eat. Half the company collapsed from exhaustion.

19th May - We have arrived near Alexandria. There are few woods here but beautiful fields.

20th May - Rest Day.

21st May - Rest Day.

22nd May - Rest day.

23rd May - Rest day.

24th May - We marched past Alexandria, across the Potomac River, past the Capital, and up Pennsylvania Avenue through Washington, the capital city of the U.S.A. We were reviewed by Lieutenant General U. S. Grant, Major General W. T. Sherman, and other Generals. Washington is a large, beautiful city. We are camped about 7 miles north of the city.

25th May - Rest day.

26th May - Rainy weather. We received bad short rations. When we can't buy our rations, we must go hungry and our money is short.

27th May - For the first time we received a little bread.

9th June - We 64'ers left the 26th Regiment and were reassigned to the 3rd Wisconsin Regiment.

10th June - We marched to the depot in Washington. I visited the Capital, which is the most beautiful building in the U.S. It is made completely of marble. A pool in the Capital contained goldfish 2-10 Inches long. Our present regiment is a lovely outfit. Today a dozen fights occurred. At night we left for the west.

13th June - In the morning we got off the train at Parkersburg. At noon we boarded a steamboat and went down the Ohio River.

16th June - This morning we arrived at Louisville, Kentucky. We left the boat and marched about 5 miles southeast of the city where we set up camp.

18th June - We stood inspection with-out rifles.

19th June - We were to have exercises without rifles, but we ran off. We are no longer just recruits.

29th June - We were paid off. I received after 8 months $128.00 regular pay and $40.00 bounty.

4th July - Today we had a hot day. In the morning we stood review before Major General Williams on a large field. The sun was so hot and we had to stand there like idiots for 2 full hours. The young men dropped like moths unconscious. In the afternoon it cooled off and Major General W. T. Sherman assembled the leftovers of the once 20th Army Corps and said good-bye to us. He lauded our bravery in the field and gave a very moving speech. At the end we gave him 12 hurrahs and went back to camp.

20th July - We officially left the service of the U.S.

21st July - We left our quarters and marched through Louisville to New Albany where we boarded the train for home.

23rd July - In the morning we arrived at Chicago and rode to Madison, where we arrived at night. We received a good meal and marched to Camp Randall.

24th July - We signed our pay vouchers and in the evening left on furlough for home by train.

25th July - This morning we arrived in Milwaukee and at 8:00 A.M. boarded the steamer "Planet". We arrived at Manitowoc at night. I came home at 11:30P.M.

26th July - I worked a little in the haymow but it did not work out too well.

1st Aug. - We went back to Milwaukee again where we had a little fun.

2nd Aug. - We rode from Milwaukee to Madison.

3rd Aug. - We were to be paid off but the date was postponed again to the 15th. We then put it into the hands of the city mayor who would send it to us. We left then.

4th Aug. - I stayed in Milwaukee.

5th Aug. - I came home again.

9th Oct. - I received my pay and took leave of the military. Now the soldier story is ended. I quite enjoyed it.

Charles Buerstatte

Co. F 3rd Regt. Wis. Vet. Inft. Volunteers.

Served faithfully as a soldier in the War of the Rebellion and was discharged after 18 months service.

A Summary

Diary for Frederick Charles Buerstatte.

Enlisted in the 26th Regiment Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers on 12th February 1864 for 3 years of duration of war until discharged.

8th May - Encounter at Tunnel Hill
14th May - Skirmish at Rocky Face Mountain
15th May - Battle at Reseca
19th May - Skirmish at Casville
25th May - Battle at Burnt Hickory
16th June - Skirmish near Kenasaw Mountain
19th June - Battle at Kenasaw Mountain
22nd June - Battle at Kenasaw Mountain
20th July - Battle at Peach Tree Creek
2nd Sept. - Defeat of Atlanta
21st Dec. - Defeat of Savannah

End of 1864


3rd Jan. - Skirmish at Smith's Farm
16th Mar. - Battle at Averrettsboro (Averysboro)
29th Mar. - Battle at Bentonville

Translated from German by George Emme 1973 - 1974

Manitowoc County Historical Society NEWSLETTER March, 1975. Vol 9, No. 2 pg 5-10