Private Dietrich Pleuss, Company F.
Frank Pleuss (Father of Dietrich) is the owner of a fine farm in Manitowoc Rapids township in the operation of which he has been engaged for more than thirty years. He was born in the vicinity of Cedarburg, Wisconsin, on the 1st of December,185l, and is a son of Frederick and Mary (Kruer) Pleuss. The parents were both born, reared and married in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, whence they emigrated to the United States in 1851 with their two eldest children, Diedrich and Sophia. They came directly to this state, locating at Cedarburg, near the city of Milwaukee, where they resided for about one year. At the expiration of that time they came to Manitowoc county and purchased eighty acres of land in Newton township. After he erected thereon a log house to shelter his family, the father began clearing his land. He was thrifty and energetic and not only brought his fields under high cultivation, but added to his acreage at various times, and at the time of his death in 1877, at the age of sixty-two, owned one of the valuable properties of the community. When the Civil war broke out the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Pleuss, Diedrich, enlisted in Company F, Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and went to the front. He participated in some of the notable conflicts of the war and was killed at the battle of Nashville.
The boyhood and youth of Frank Pleuss were passed on the homestead in Newton township, his education being obtained in the district schools of the vicinity. While yet in his early childhood he was assigned tasks about the home and later assisted with the cultivation of the fields and care of the stock. After leaving school he gave his entire time and attention to the work of the farm. Subsequently learning the carpenter's trade from his father, who had served an apprenticeship in the old country and was an exceptionally skilful and well trained artisan. When be was twenty-five years of age he left the farm and began working at his trade, continuing to follow this occupation for four years. At the expiration of that period he decided that agricultural pursuits afforded greater possibilities and in 1880 he invested his capital in the farm where he now lives. As he was a practical agriculturist of enterprising and industrious habits, Mr. Pleuss applied himself intelligently to the cultivation of his fields meeting with corresponding success. He has always given his personal supervision to everything about his place and for many years he did the greater part of the work on the fields himself. He has a very comfortable residence on his farm, and good barns and outbuildings, while his fields are substantially fenced and under high cultivation. In connection with general farming he has been engaged in stock-raising and has met with handsome returns from both branches of the business.
In 1880, Mr. Pleuss was united in marriage to Miss Sophia Schnell, a daughter of Jacob and Frederica Schnell, the father a native of Mecklenburg and the mother of Prussia, who for many years were residents of Liberty township. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Pleuss, as follows: Mary, who was born in 1883, now the wife of William Schramm by whom she has had two children, Frederica and Carl; John, whose birth occurred in 1885; and Albert, whose natal year was 1889.
In matters of faith the family are all Lutherans. Mr. Pleuss takes an active interest in township affairs, but has always declined to accept office save that of school director in which capacity he has been serving for the past six years. He has always been one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of his community where he is widely known and held in high esteem.
History of Manitowoc Co. published 1812, pg. 151-152, Wisconsin Historical Society