Corporal John Singer, Company D.

From The Soldier's and Citizen's Album, pg. 230, 231

John Singer, Black Creek, Wis., and 9, member of G. A. R. Post No. 116, WI born in Prussia Feb. 22, 1845. He accompanied his parents, John and Mary (Mark) Singer, to America in 1854 when he was nine years of age. After landing at the port of New, York, the family, came to Milwaukee and a few days later proceeded to Wayne, Washington Co., Wis., where the father pursued his two-fold business as a carpenter and farmers and brought up his sons to the latter vocation. His son John enlisted at Wayne Oct. 21, 1861, in D Company, 12th Wisconsin infantry for three years. He was promoted to Corporal and, on the expiration of his period of enlistment, he veteranized at Natchez Miss., and received veteran's furlough. He rejoined his regiment at Madison on its expedition and returned to the field. He received final discharge at Louisville, Ky., after a service of three years and eight months.

The 12th Wisconsin was the largest regiment that had left the State, which it did Jan. 1 1862. Two days later, it made acquaintance with some of the severest experiences of soldiers life the men sleeping on the frozen ground without shelter with the mercury 20 degrees below zero, after a wearisome march of 22 miles. Their next experience was a journey in open cars lasting 24 hours, deprived of fire warm food or lights. They went from Mo., to Leavenworth and later towards Fort Scott, a distance of 160 miles. In the remainder of the month of March and in made another march of 105 miles to Fort Riley. Soon after, orders were issued for a return to Leavenworth which they reached on the 27th of May. Two days latter they went to St. Louis and thence to Columbus, Ky. During the succeeding months of June, July, August and September the regiment made itself conspicuous to the rebel soldiers and civilians in Southern Kentucky and Northern Tennessee, and meanwhile part of the command was mounted on horses which were confiscated. Orders were issued Oct. 1st for the regiment to proceed to the location of the battle of Hatchie where they acted as reserve and went thence to Bolivar, Tenn. November 3rd they started south and passed the month in Tennessee on varied duty of good effect. They were with Grant's army in the operations in that Department, and passed the winter in Tennessee, going in March to Memphis. The balance of the month, with April and May, was passed in capturing and entertaining rebels during Grierson's raid ,through Mississippi where their presence was not just then desired. May 18, 1863, the regiment went into the trenches in the siege of Vicksburg. Mr. Singer was also in the fight at Jackson, Miss., and in May, 1864, was attached to the 3rd Brigade, 3d Division and 17th Corps, under General Leggett, preparatory to entering upon the "March to the Sea". June 8th they joined the Army of the Tennessee and participated in the battles of Kenesaw Mountain. In the siege of Atlanta, July 22, Major General McPherson, while examining into anticipated movement of the rebels was surprised and mortally wounded. He fell about 30 rods from and directly in front of Mr. Singer and was taken by the advancing rebels. A severe engagement followed immediately, and the body of the beloved and daring chief remained within the confederate lines for a time. This action, which is called one of the battles of Bald Hill, constituted one of the most severe of siege or in the experience of soldiers, rapid changing from front to rear and vice versa, being the mode of action. Mr. Singer continued with his command in the trenches nearly a month, taking part in the battle of Jonesboro and the succeeding actions of the first of September. November he commenced, with the force of Sherman, the march to Savannah and was in the detail which assisted in the destruction of the Georgia Central railroad, reaching Savannah Dec. 10th. From there the regiment was a part of all the actions of the corps and Mr. Singer's military history is identical with that, is comrades of the 12th.

On his return to civil life he located in Wayne where he engaged in farming until 1873, the year of his removal to Black Creek. He is now section foreman on the Green Bay, Winona and St. Paul railroad. He was married March 16, 1871, to Susanna Tishhansen. The senior Singer was a soldier in Napoleon's army and was in the prominent battles in which the Allies fought for eight years, among which was Leipsic and Waterloo. He was in the Moscow campaign and was captured. He escaped after a few days by cutting his way out with an axe. He was one of the pioneer construction corps and when taken was wounded in his left arm with a lance. The father of Mrs. Singer was born in Schwyz, Switzerland, and was a soldier of the Republic. Mathias Singer, the brother of John, was a volunteer soldier and was taken sick at Nashville three years and died in Calumet Co., Wis. His wife died earlier and their four orphan children are without a pension.