JOHN ENSIGN6 (George5, Ezekiel4, David3, David2, James1) B. 5 Apr. 1817, Oswego, Oswego, N. Y.; s. of Source: C. S. E. George and Elizabeth Smith Ensign; d. 15 Jan. 1900-3, Chico, Butte, Calif.; md. 1 Jan. 1840, PHOEBE EMILY OSBORNE, b. 3 June 1818, Genesee Co., N. Y.; dau. of Benjamin and Hannah Osborne; d. 17 Feb. 1853, Madison, Dane, Wisc.
Children (ENSIGN): i-iii born in Attica, Wyoming, N. Y. and were
born near Madison, Dane, Wisc.
* Franklin D., b. 11 Oct. 1840; d. 11 Oct. 1897, Minnesota
* Emily Diana, b. 15 Dec. 1842; d. 6 Mar. 1860; md. 4 July 1859, Fowler Tarbox
* Edwin Alliene, b. 31 July 1844
* Mary Alice, b. 3 Jan. 1846
* John Herschel, b. 30 June 1849
John md. second, 6 Sept. 1854, LUPERLA ROSELLA FARRINGTON, b. 17 Oct. 1829; dau. of William and Ann Farrington; d. 1913, age 84.
* George Ardene, b. 1 Sept. 1856, Grand Rapids, Kent, Mich.; d. 23 Apr. 1860,
drowned in creek at Saratoga, Wisc.
* Willard Emerson, b. 23 Nov. 1859, Saratoga Woods, Wisc.
* Anna Luperla, b. 23 Aug. 1862, Franklin, Wabasha, Minn.; d. 26 Feb. 1880
* Carrie, b. 26 Feb. 1865, Plainview, Wabasha, Minn.; d. 23 Aug. 1865
* Howard Ulysses, b. 6 Nov. 1866, Plainview, Wabasha, Minn.
John moved to Wisconsin in 1845 and settled near Madison, later moved to Grand Rapids, Mich. He wrote to Dr. William O. Ensign of Rutland, Ill. on 28 Apr. 1887 as follows:
"I enlisted on Oct. 1861 for 17 days. My company was G 12th Wisc. Vol. Inf. Was assigned to Western Kansas under Gen'l Blount. Was discharged May 23, 1862 for disability. Had two sons in the 8th Wis. Battery, was in War to its close. Franklin co. clerk of court, Red Wood Falls, Minn., the other E. A., Attica, N. Y. My father's name was George. He was drowned when I was one year six months old. I was the youngest of seven children. Had eight or nine uncles, I am the last that now survives our family, and I am over seventy years old, yet quite smart." signed John Ensign
Record of the Descendants of James Ensign and His Wife Sarah Elson,
Author: Martha Ensign Nelson
Call Number: CS71.E568